Sunday, June 11, 2006

I don't know what I want to write, just know that I want to write something. If that makes any sense.
I've had a pretty good weekend thus far. Yesterday I watched The Ringer with Robin, Mitch and Tay(who left and then came back with Jen Fry!) and I laughed a lot. After supper Robin and I wanted to go get ice cream and Robin suited up because it was cold out. Not to be left out, she dressed me up as well. We looked crazy. It was one of the most daring things I've done in a long time. I was definately out of my comfort zone, but it was good to get out, even if it was just to Eastside, Bean There and Rob's. Oh yeah, we went to Rob and Amanda's and watched Kingdom of Heaven with them and Dione. I love that movie so much. The fact that Orlando Bloom is in it might have something to do with that, but its also very historically enticing. Even though I hated learning about the crusades in Boyko's class, I love watching this movie, because its something I do on my own time and am not forced to learn about. I guess that's the way I work. Like taking Hamlet for example, I'm sure I would have loved the play had I done it on my own time, but reading it in class, taking notes on every little detail and watching the movie kinda killed it for me. Then again, some things are better learned as a group. Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there's something.
Oh, I thought of something, poetry. I loved that section of (un)Creative Writing. Hearing other people's writing styles and experiences through poetry was so awesome for me. And then came the collective...haha we won't go there. If I had to read one style of literature for the rest of my life I'd choose poetry. It's more than just writing to me. It captures emotions and makes dreams seem real with flow and rhythm. Its odd how a peice of writing is so hard to explain with words. I think that's a part of why I like songs so much. Really, they're just poems with a beat and a tune. If I could only write one way, again, I'd choose poetry. Why? Because a poem can be as short or long as you want it to be. It can rhyme, contradict itself, and be full of nonsense all at once. You can say everything while saying seemingly nothing at the same time. It's not bound to formality or familiarity. Even if you don't get what it's trying to say, a single line or phrase could be the meaning of life and inspiration to you or another.
I know why I'm so in love with poetry. Its been one of my only outlets of emotion for such a long time. I think I was wrong in saying I don't grieve over losses; I do, I just write about them. When I write a really good piece, I don't need to cry about the situation because I've gotten the emotion out on paper. I do know that there are things I should cry about and haven't grieved or dealt with, but the others I don't. I've given them closure by putting them into words and not water.
So, I guess this is the start of healing. Realizing how I do deal with loss and what situations I've left unfinished. Well, on a happier note than I started, "You're not very pretty, and you're not very bright. I'm glad we had this talk."

No comments: