Thursday, May 04, 2006

Post-Million Dollar Baby

So, last night we watched Million Dollar Baby at youth group. It was an awesome movie and made me think of a lot of things. First, why can't we watch a movie at youth group without people leaving, coming late and talking? Its really annoying. Don't do it. Its ok to laugh at the funny parts, but I for one can't stand buzzing whispering in the background.
Anyways...It made me really think of Frankie and Maggie's relationship and my dad and mine's. At first Frankie didn't want anything to do with her, then after finding out how determined she was to be a boxer, their relationship grew. He cared for her even when he didn't want to train a girl. Even when he tried to get rid of her, he was drawn back to her. He stuck with her when it mattered the most, he was strong for her, he gave her a new name,he protected her. I don't know if I would be able to do what he did for her. There was such a deep father-daughter bond between them even though they weren't blood.
What made me think of my dad was at the end when we find out that Morgan Freeman has been narrarating a letter to Frankie's daughter. He said, "I thought you'd like to know what kind of man your father really was." I think it was at that point that I really broke down. After I leave home, will I recieve a letter telling me what my dad was really like? Is it even sane to hope he will change after I'm gone? Frankie's daughter never forgave him for something he did to her, and had to find out in a letter what a good man he was and how hard he tried to be forgiven for what he did. Their situation is different from mine in a sense. I've seen what my dad can do. But I've never seen him change, not for the better anyways. I think it would make me angrier to find out he changed after I've left home. Why couldn't he be the father I needed when I'm still here? Just too little too late.

No comments: