Saturday, May 27, 2006

So Many Movies

Wow, I've watched so many movies lately. I don't even remember them all, they start melding into one. I do remember the ones I watched today (yesterday now!) though so I thought I'd blog about them. First I watched "The Motorcycle Diaries" and thought of Rob, cuz I know he likes that movie. It was actually quite good, once I got used to the subtitles and some language issues. Its interesting trying to bleep out words as you read them. But yeah, the movie was good, it showed an interesting side to a person American culture has labeled as rebellious or against what we should aspire to. Ernesto (Che) really had a heart for the people, his people, who were kicked out of their own lands and had become as the movie put it, homeless in their own land. One of my favorite parts in the movie was when they got to the leper colony and Che and Alberto chose not to wear the gloves. What touched me most was he wasn't afraid to touch the lepers. He said, even though leprosy isn't contagious it (gloves) is just symbolic. He broke past the societal walls that others had put up and was just himself. So Rob, it was a great movie, probably not one that we could watch at youth group, but good nonetheless. I'd say 4 stars out of 5.
Then I watched The Brothers Grimm. I really wanted to watch it when it came out, but never did. I had heard from some people that it didn't live up to their expectations, but I thought it was alright. I think that Matt Damon was a bit of an awkward choice for this type of movie, but other than that it was good. I loved how obvious all the fairy tales were. It was easy to relate the things in the movie to the stories I've heard all my life. And to see a new spin on some of them, and watch a whole new one. I'll give this 3/5 stars.

Then...yes I know, I need a life...I watched Raise Your Voice. Don't shoot me yet. There are few movies that can have me crying within the first 15minutes, and this one did it. I don't know if I was over tired or what was going on, but when the car crash happened, I lost it. I had just been watching Joan of Arcadia and Jason Ritter was in both of these. It was weird to see him in a wheelchair one minute, walking and then in a car crash the next. I know, its only tv/movies, but I'm a little weird that way. So anyways, after I got over myself and settled in to the movie, it was pretty good, even for Hilary Duff. I, of course, noticed right away Terry and Simon's relationship. I was thinking, 'Finally, they get a father-daughter relationship that I can relate to'. Also, Paul (Jason Ritter) reminded me a little of Phil. So then, near the end of the movie when Simon freaks out and tells Terry that she has to come home 'right now', I couldn't believe it when she told him flat out that they were all afraid of him. Oh to have a script like that written for me. I was a little disappointed when they made up and everything was peachy keen, but of course in Hollywood every one lives happily ever after. Don't get me wrong, people should make up and be happy, but I was kind of wallowing in and enjoying the fact that it wasn't the perfect "tv family". But then again, what kind of teeny-bopper-sappy-romantic-motivational movie would it be without a happy ending right? This one gets a 3.9/5 stars...just cuz.
So thats what I did today. Well that and drank A LOT of tea. If my voice hasn't improved, my ability to pee fast has. Sorry you had to hear that Robin. Oh yeah, and I sound just as bad if not worse than I did yesterday. Lets just hope I get better by Sunday. I should probably get some rest...I'm so tired of sleeping its all I do lately, that and watch movies of course. So see ya tomorrow at practice. Yay! Hmm...I should work on my lines hey?

No comments: