Tuesday, February 01, 2011

365 Writing Challenge

Wow, I almost can't believe it's been over two years since I've written a blog post! A little bit ridiculous, but c'est la vie! I've been challenged by a friend on Facebook to start writing 30 minute/day for the next 365 days. Feb 1, 2011 to Feb 1, 2012. I'm a little unsure if I can do it for every single day, but I'm going to put forth a valiant effort. Obviously, my writing has greatly diminished in this form, and been replaced by status updates, comments, tweets, and now at work, invoices.
Two years! I'm still hung up on that. The last thing I wrote was a bucket list when I was 21. Not many things have changed, at least nothing needs to be taken off. I'd still love to do all those things. I've already accomplished a few, and am going to be working on one in the fall.
I've been accepted to attend Briercrest College and Seminary and will be working towards a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Ministry degree. My main focus will be women's ministry and counselling. I'm SO excited to see what this will bring to my future. In just two weeks, I'll be travelling to the school to check things out as I've never been to the campus. Exciting times, to see friends that are attending and begin friendships that I hope to continue in September. I applied in July 2010, was accepted in October, and just told my boss today that I'm going. Not really sure why I was so nervous to tell him. He seemed happy and supportive in my decision. That's the blessing of having a great boss!
Hmm...this 30 minute thing isn't as easy as I thought. Also part of the challenge is to write something meaningful in that 30 minutes. For me this is, even just to start writing again. It may just be a condensed update, but its a start.
Two years! I'm older, hopefully wiser, have learned many lessons, still single, have another nephew, another tattoo (2 only in total), lost friends and loved ones, made new friends, travelled, witnessed new chapters in friend's lives, and still a small town girl. Although, this town has become a city. It doesn't really feel like one, for which I'm glad. Its so nice waving/greeting people when they drive by. There are so many great people here, and I'm probably going to be a bit homesick when I go to school. Luckily, like I said, I've already got friends that go there, and hope to make more.
How do you wrap up two whole years? I have gone through some of the happiest times and some of my very darkest times. Which, if you were to read this blog from the beginning, you'd think it would be hard to get much darker than when I was in my depression. I think, with the consecutive loss of friends and a family member, it brought me past depression, to utter hopelessness. At the time I didn't even want to believe in the belief of God. Through the prayers and support of many friends and acquaintances, I saw that there was hope and light in these dark times. There was life and opportunity for joy through the dark and the pain of loss. My Saviour never let me go, he was always holding me in his loving arms. When I was drowning my sorrows in drinking, he never turned away in shame of my actions. I know Jesus was waiting patiently, so patiently, for me to turn back to him and let him heal my broken heart. The loss is still real to me, but I have found comfort in beauty of nature, compassion from friends and sometimes strangers, and an ever supportive church family. I am so grateful to them and how they are encouraging me to pursue my education and essentially dream to minister to women. I could not do it if I felt completely alone. Or, it would be immeasurably harder.
I've been house sitting again, and tomorrow I go back home. I hope that I can continue this writing. It might show up here, on my poetry blog, or a Facebook note. I don't know if anyone will be even reading this one, but if you are, welcome back! I hope you will enjoy my renewed journey.

No comments: