Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Phone Call From Heaven

"Ugh, where did I put my keys? This is the last thing I need today!" Sound like a familiar morning? Its often a common thought when we are rushing to get out the door to our individual destinations. The lost keys, sock or nylon with a hole, and the dreaded phone call right as your hand reaches for the door. Option one, answer and risk being late or in an even tighter time constraint to get where you're going. Option two, let it go to voicemail or nothing. I know I've at times done both, usually choosing number two. If its really important they'll call my cell or call later. I need to get going so I'm not inconveniencing others. Its too often all about me.

How many times have we (myself included) missed a call from friends or family because we were in a hurry? The answer is probably too often. I wonder how things in the world would be different if we just slowed down a bit, took a breath and made a little more time for ourselves and others. For ourselves to get prepared so that we're not always on cruise control or flight mode. Time for others because, they're valuable. You are not alone in life. If it sometimes feels that way, pick up the phone and dial until someone answers. Hopefully they aren't rushing out, or if so, take your call anyways.

I've got a bit off topic from my original idea, so let's get back on track. As I said, we miss a lot of calls when we are so focused on the rat race pace of life. We wonder what our purpose is in life, but hardly take time to listen to God's calling. He is and has been reaching out to humanity for millions of years. In the grand scheme of reality, I would guess that those who hear and listen is a lot less than those who choose to let his call go unanswered. I'm not trying to sound harsh, judgmental or depressing, I'm just going with the evidence I can see. Thankfully, there have been millions of people throughout the ages who have answered and obeyed. I can't begin to imagine the mess we would be in without the influences and legacies left by "the faithful few".

I've come to a point in life where I can no longer let the call go unanswered. No, I didn't hear a booming voice from the sky tell me what to do, but I have no doubts that God is calling me to womens ministry. Things aren't completely all in place or 100% clear to me right now, but that's where the opportunity for faith and trust come in. Trust in uncertain times is not the easiest for me, and I don't think I'm alone in this struggle.

I guess I've known for a number of years that one day I would find a way to help other young girls and women through their struggles. A few times I've tried to run from it and choose a less intimidating career. Something stayed always in the back of my mind, heart, conscience, whatever you want to call it, that kept bringing me back to show love to the hurting and the broken. It's like call waiting, you can hear it beeping, but don't want to end the (one sided) conversation you're involved in.

Now that I've decided to answer God's call for my life, it gives me comfort. There's fear, unknown factors, financial considerations, and more fear. Yet, I have comfort knowing a peace that doesn't even make sense. Peace that I'm doing the right thing, going to the right school for the right program. I've asked myself, "What have I got to lose?". Nothing. The better question, "What can I gain?". Everything I've ever dreamed of.

No comments: