Monday, February 14, 2011

Patience is a Virtue

Feb. 13/11

Not one of my strongest characteristics. I was on the phone with my work's accountant trying to fix things one day. She was waiting for her computer to start up and said something about being impatient. I said even microwave food takes too long! Maybe I should work on improving my patience. Nah, it will probably take too long. Just kidding, I'm not that hard core.

Patience is something that I do need to improve on, but I'll take it a day at a time. Just like everything else in my life that I have little control over. Waiting for things to happen, change to come or people to show up can be overwhelming. Remind yourself to take a breath, relax and do everything possible to do your part.

One of my favorite waiting games is getting mail. It's also addicting when you shop online. I think we should go back to snail mail correspondence, for some things like birthdays and the just because occasions. Obviously, the internet is faster and more convenient, but those silly square papers and packages addressed to you are much more exciting. Spoken like a true shopaholic. One thing I miss about my grandparents is getting cards and letters from them. I've kept up some form of the mailing system close, because I still like sending gifts and letters to my best friend.

So what are you waiting for? A new house, new job, a spouse, new plan, a child, to grow up? There are so many things in life to look forward to, but often require a lot of patience. We've all heard that good things come to those who wait, so just hold on. It's like kids waiting for Christmas morning; it seems it takes forever, then its come and gone and they wait again for next year. I'm sure if they can get through without spontaneously combusting, I can wait for a package in the mail or for the time before I leave for school. Could it just hurry up though?

No comments: