Thursday, February 03, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray

I've been reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde, and wonder what my portrait would look like at this point in my life? I'm not sure that I'd be able to recognize myself. Some features would be familiar, but I think others could be drastically altered. My mouth may be twisted in a cruel sneer like Dorian's from the things I've said. Perhaps my eyes would be clouded over by the things I've seen. Who knows how the rest would look? I haven't finished reading the book, but already know that youth and beauty are not worth forfeiting your soul.

I remember the years of healing, emotionally and mentally, it took to work past the trap of eating disorders. Looking back with the wisdom, what little I've acquired, I can now understand somewhat the thought pattern involved in the cycle of disorders.

One thing that I hope to accomplish through my education is to understand woman's issues more in depth. In order to help girls get through, or avoid altogether the struggles I've been through, I must first gain knowledge.

I want to build a legacy for women that instills how precious, valuable and set apart each of them are. Both individually and as a whole, we are important. Women are far too often overlooked, discredited, discriminated against, outright abused and considered less than men. I said outright abused, but sadly, the behind closed doors, publicly unaware abuse is much more common. If I can lend my voice, and talents or just my heart, ears, shoulder to cry on and arms to hold a sister in pain, I know I can make a difference.

I don't know if we can change the picture already painted, but I hope that my own has not been altered beyond repair.

No comments: